Peggy posted her version and I keep meaning to post my doctored version.
Makes: 6-8 servings
* 1 lb ground Italian sausage
* 1/4 tsp crushed red peppers
* 1 large diced white or yellow onion
* 4 slices smoked bacon, chopped
* 2 large cloves garlic, grated
* 8 cups chicken stock
* 1 pint heavy cream
* 1 lb sliced red or yellow (like Yukon Gold) potatoes (6-8 small)
* 1/4 of a bunch of kale, loosely chopped
1. Sauté Italian sausage and crushed red pepper in a large pot. Drain excess fat, set aside on a plate while you prepare other ingredients.
2. In the same pan, sauté bacon, onions and garlic for approximately 15 minutes or until the onions are soft.
3. To a large pot add chicken broth, and then add the onions, bacon and garlic. Cook until boiling.
4. Add potatoes and cook until soft, about 30 minutes.
5. Add heavy cream and cook until thoroughly heated.
6. Stir in the sausage and simmer 3 minutes.
7. Add kale just before serving. Delicious!