After watching Disney's The Princess and the Frog ...set in New Orleans in the 40's where the main character Tiana, is an aspiring chef and she makes these sweet southern 'doughnuts' and they look scrumptious... I decided to try them this week... I highly recommend this cute and funny movie.
I found this recipe on All Recipes dot com and I must say...what's not to like about a recipe like this? My mouth is watering just planning it!
- 2 1/4 teaspoons active dry yeast
- 1 1/2 cups warm water (110 degrees F/45 degrees C)
- 1/2 cup white sugar
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2 eggs
- 1 cup evaporated milk
- 7 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/4 cup shortening
- 1 quart vegetable oil for frying
- 1/4 cup confectioners' sugar
- In a large bowl, dissolve yeast in warm water. Add sugar, salt, eggs, evaporated milk, and blend well. Mix in 4 cups of the flour and beat until smooth. Add the shortening, and then the remaining 3 cups of flour. Cover and chill for up to 24 hours.
- Roll out dough 1/8 inch thick. Cut into 2 1/2 inch squares. Fry in 360 degree F (180 degrees C) hot oil. If beignets do not pop up, oil is not hot enough. Drain onto paper towels.
- Shake confectioners' sugar on hot beignets. Serve warm.